Pollo con queso is a Mexican-inspired dish made with chicken and cheese. This recipe uses bite-sized cubes of chicken breast seasoned with chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. It’s served with a keto-friendly queso made with green chiles, heavy cream, cream cheese, pepper jack cheese, and white American cheese.
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chiles
- 1/4 cup heavy cream + more for thinning if needed.
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup white American Cheese
- Combine all of the spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet to medium heat.
- Add the cubed chicken to the hot skillet and sprinkle with the spices. Toss to coat the chicken evenly on all sides. Brown the chicken 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked through. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the green chiles, cream cheese, heavy cream, add the shredded cheese in small increments (about 1/2 cup at a time). Continuously stir the queso as the cheese melts until all the cheese has been used. Add additional heavy cream or milk until it reaches your preferred consistency.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and toss in the queso. Serve immediately