Fall in love with lentils.
Rosemary, thyme, and lemon lend this simple low-carb dinner some serious flavour served on protein-rich lentils for a filling meal that lasts.
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (170g) medium red onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 slices (90g) pancetta, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 800 gram canned brown lentils, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 x 150g uncrumbed pork schnitzels
- 1 (140g) medium lemon, cut into cheeks
- 1 bunch (170g) asparagus, trimmed, sliced thinly lengthways
Pork steaks with sauteed lentils
- 1Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over high heat; cook onion, garlic and pancetta, stirring, until onion softens. Add rosemary and 3 sprigs of the thyme; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add lentils and the water; reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until water evaporates. Stir in juice.
- 2Meanwhile, cut pork in half crossways. Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook pork, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until browned and cooked. Remove from pan; rest, covered, for 2 minutes.
- 3Cook lemon halves, cut-side down, in pan for 3 minutes or until charred.
- 4Boil, steam or microwave asparagus until just tender; drain. Season to taste.
- 5Serve pork with lentils, asparagus and lemon; sprinkle with remaining thyme leaves. Season with pepper.