PREP:10 MINSCOOK:30 MINSTOTAL:40 MINSSERVES: PEOPLE (AS A SIDE)
- 10 ounces (300 g) bacon, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds (1 kg) Brussel sprouts, washed, (trim bottoms and cut sprouts in half)
- Salt and pepper to season
- 5 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (400 ml) light or heavy cream, (thickened cream)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water (cornstarch slurry — optional)
- 1/3 cup fresh shredded or grated mozzarella
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F | 190°C.
- Fry the bacon in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat until crispy. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel lined plate to soak up some of the oil. Set aside.
- Drain most of the bacon fat from the pan, leaving about 1-2 tablespoons for added flavour (adjust this amount to your liking). In the same pan, melt the butter, then add the Brussels sprouts and season with salt and pepper. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, and cook while stirring occasionally, for about 6 minutes. The edges should start crisping and slightly charring.
- Add in the garlic and stir it through the sprouts for a minute, until fragrant. Pour in the cream, reduce heat down to low and allow them to simmer until tender (another 3-4 minutes).
- If the cream is too thin for your liking, add in the cornstarch slurry, stirring it through immediately, until combined.
- Add the bacon in and give everything a good mix to combine all of the flavours together. Top the sprouts with the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Bake until cheese is bubbly and sprouts are done to your liking (about 15 minutes). If you like your cheese browned, change oven settings to broil for 2-3 minutes, until golden.
- Season with a little extra pepper, if desired, before serving. You can also sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, thyme or rosemary.
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 20, 2017.
Calories: 312kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 86mg | Sodium: 380mg | Potassium: 562mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1460IU | Vitamin C: 97.3mg | Calcium: 155mg | Iron: 1.8mg
Free Keto Meal Plan : KETO DIET PLAN FOR BEGINNERS STEP BY STEP GUIDE
Leave a Reply