- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.25 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup bottled fire roasted salsa
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1 head romaine lettuce or iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 5 oz. tortilla chips, slightly crumbled
- 1 cup Shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced (or 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes)
- 1 avocado, diced (optional)
- 5 Tbsp Sour cream or Mexican crema (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Crumble in beef in chunks. Let sear until browned on bottom, about 3 minutes then turn an d break up beef and continue to cook until cooked through.
- Drain fat from beef then stir in salsa, chili powder and cumin. Season with salt and pepper to taste and heat through, about 1 minute.*
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Layer lettuce among individual plates. Top with chips, beef mixture, cheese, tomatoes, avocado, sour cream and red onion if using. Serve immediately.
*If you used a thicker salsa you may want to add a splash of chicken broth or water to thin slightly. If you used a watery salsa you can let it simmer for a few minutes to reduce.
Time Saving Tips:
- To make the most of your time and to get dinner on the table quickly I like to prep toppings while ground beef is browning.
- You could even use pico de gallo and guacamole from the produce section of the grocery store in place of diced tomatoes and avocados to save prep time.
- You can also buy a large bag of pre-cut romaine lettuce.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 558Calories from Fat 315
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 11g69%
Vitamin A 1560IU31%
Vitamin C 9.2mg11%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
COURSE: MAIN COURSE
KEYWORD: TACO SALAD