Get all five of your five-a-day in this Mexican-inspired spicy beef taco bowl. Full of textures and flavours, it can be partly prepped ahead
- Prep:15 mins
- Serves 4
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and finely diced
- 500g 5% fat beef mince
- 1 tbsp chipotle paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 200g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 20g coriander, stalks chopped, leaves reserved
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 x 250g pouches cooked microwave wholemeal basmati rice
- 400g can black beans, drained
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 198g can sweetcorn (salt- and sugar-free)
- 2 small avocados, sliced
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and fry the pepper for 5 mins until starting to soften. Add the beef, chipotle paste and spices, and cook, stirring, to break down the meat for a few minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato purée, coriander stalks, 150ml water and some seasoning, then cover. Leave to simmer for 20 mins to cook through and reduce a little. Will keep chilled for up to three days, or frozen for up to three months. Defrost thoroughly and reheat until piping hot.
- Meanwhile, toss the onions in the lime juice in a bowl and set aside to pickle.
- When the mince is ready, warm the rice following pack instructions.
- Tip the cooked rice into four serving bowls, then add the beef and top each one with a quarter of the black beans, cherry tomatoes and corn, half an avocado (fan out the slices, if you like), and the coriander leaves. Spoon the pickled onions on top along with any lime juice.
Nutrition per serving
Leave a Reply