- 6 lb. bone-in beef short ribs
- Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions, halved through the roots, skins discarded
- 2 heads garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 (4.5-ounce) tube double-concentrated tomato paste
- 1 (750-ml) bottle red wine
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Large Dutch oven or pot
- Slotted spoon
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours 30 minutes (plus overnight chilling)
Yield: 6-8 servings
Step 1 – Preparing the Ribs:
- Heat broiler to high with the rack set about 5 inches from the top.
- Arrange ribs in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and season with salt.
- Broil, turning once, until deeply browned and crisped, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Set aside. Switch the oven to 300°F.
Step 2 – Preparing the Braising Liquid:
- Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven or pot, heat oil over medium-high.
- Add onion halves, cut sides down, and garlic.
- Cook until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and stir to coat.
- Increase heat to high, and add wine, thyme, and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until the steam coming off the pot no longer smells super-boozy and the wine has reduced slightly, 8 to 10 minutes.
Step 3 – Braising the Ribs:
- Add the browned short ribs (discard any fat on the sheet pan) to the pot.
- Cover with enough water to submerge the ribs (5 to 6 cups).
- Bring to a boil, then transfer to the oven.
- Cook until beef is super-tender, 2 hours to 2 hours 30 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, then chill overnight. (This overnight rest is essential to deepening the flavor and improving the texture of the meat.)
Step 4 – Removing Fat and Shredding Meat:
- An hour or two before serving, scrape the congealed fat off the top and discard.
- Cook over medium-low heat just until the liquid is no longer congealed.
- Use a slotted spoon to scoop out the meat and transfer to a large bowl or sheet pan.
- Discard thyme and onion.
- Simmer the braising liquid over medium-high heat until thickened and reduced slightly, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once cool enough to touch, use your hands to pull meat off bones; discard bones and any cartilage. Be careful not to shred the meat too much—you want it to be in nice, juicy chunks.
Step 5 – Final Assembly:
- Remove the pot from heat.
- Add the shredded meat to the thickened braising liquid.
- Gently stir to combine.
- Serve warm.
Nutritional Information (per serving – approximate):
- Calories: 450-500
- Fat: 25g
- Protein: 40g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 3g
Enjoy your delicious Red Wine-Braised Beef Short Ribs!
Regarding neutrinos, please provide more specific information or questions you have about them, and I’d be happy to help. Neutrinos are subatomic particles that are very challenging to detect due to their weak interactions with matter, and they have fascinating properties related to particle physics and astrophysics.